Ever wanted to conquer the Himalayan range during a tour to Tibet? Not sure how to start or when to start? This article aims to help you understand the Himalayan range better and to make your dream about conquering these mountains come true. Here are some important factors which will determine the success or failure of your trekking adventure. Be sure you pay special attention to your health, equipment and other such factors as they play a key role in your trekking journey.
Here are the essential items one needs to carry while on a trek:
- Map – In case of emergencies or if one gets lost in the wilderness
- Compass – Plays an essential role while navigating through the mountains
- Sunglasses and sunscreen – Especially in summer to avoid sun burns
- Extra clothing – For unforeseen circumstances, such as bad climate or sudden rain showers
- Headlamp/flashlight – Important tool while one is camping in the mountains or trekking after dark
- First-aid supplies – In case of emergencies, also note to carry medicines relevant to your medical condition
- Fire starter or matches – Useful to start camp fires
- Knife – Important survival tool when in the wild
- Extra food and water – Always carry extra food, for yourself or if others are in need
The Sherpas are the angels of the mountains. They are one of the most well-known communities of Nepal, and are also known to have conquered the science of trekking and mountaineering. Taking their help in your journey will not only ensure that your journey is safe and sound, but will also help you understand the culture and hospitality they share in the form of their behavior and stories they share.
An interesting aspect one can notice are the names of the Sherpas. Most are named Lakhpa, Dorjee, Tensing, Nawang and Tashi. They are loosely translated into the days of the week, namely, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and so on. Legend has it, that they are named after the day of the week they were born.
They are inhabitants of the Khumbu valley, which is a national park that surrounds the Mount Everest. They are often termed as happy and easy going folks and are known to take great pride in their heritage which involves rigorous activities such as trekking. Being well aware of altitudes and what to do to combat travel sicknesses, taking the help of a Sherpa while travelling, might quite literally save your life.
They add great value to the entire trekking journey and will help you see the Mount Everest to the best of its beauty and glory. If you are not sure about where or how to find them, enquiring at the nearest travel agency will help you with a Sherpa to enhance your journey.
If you are looking for more professional and technical support, finding a mountain guide for your trek is ideal. They are highly skilled, trained and experienced mountaineers and professionals who are certified for the same. They are certified by the International Federation of Mountain Guides Associations. These highly skilled professionals can help you, especially if you are looking for a rigorous or slightly dangerous trek. It is also recommended for advance trekking and mountaineering.
In addition to their prior knowledge about the place and its surroundings, they often bring valuable knowledge about safety measures and guidelines for the same. They also have knowledge about the various trekking equipment and are highly recommended for first timers and people who do not know the locality.
Tibetan Yaks to Carry Supplies
Often times, while going on long strenuous treks one can easily tire down. This is where Tibetan yaks play a crucial role. Yaks are beasts who are most useful when on a trek. They are most often used to carry the provisions and other accessories and necessities while on a trekking adventure. This can include one’s clothing, food, cameras and other such personal items. They also provide milk, which is an absolute necessity as a source of nutrition, especially while camping.
Planning is mandatory and plays an extremely important part in one’s travel plans. This not only ensures a safe journey, but also a pleasurable one. The things one needs to keep in mind while planning are:
- The age of the individuals travelling – depending on whether they are adults or younger children, great care should be taken, ensuring their safety especially because of the most common problem faced by all, the altitude sickness.
- Mental and physical health – it is best for people who are mentally and physically fit and strong to go on this expedition. If not, it is advisable one consults his or her personal doctor and also carries the required supplies of medicines to react to any unexpected situation.
- Keep a list – it is important to keep a list of everything regarding one’s health and share it with the team or the guide. This will help them understand your problem in case of an emergency and allow you to get timely help.
- Carry all the important supplies needed for your trip
- Keep people informed about you constant whereabouts
- Be realistic while determining the extent of your trek
Tools to Take
Knives, matches, climbing gears, multi-tools all play an essential role in your gear box. One must in addition to the conventional tools used while climbing, also carry supplies such as ropes, knives(just make sure you are aware of the knife restrictions on flights) and other such essentials. Often times it is the small things that are forgotten which play a huge role in saving your life.
Some of the important yet simple gears one needs to keep in mind are:
- Backpack – Make sure it is light, yet consists of all the essentials mentioned above
- Tents – Especially when one plans to camp out after the trek
- Sleeping bag – In case you are camping in a tent, this can prove to be a lifesaver
- LED enabled light Compass and other light equipment like torches – This can help you navigate even during the night which might be important on the trekking adventure
- Binoculars – This tool will be particularly important when it comes to safety measures one needs to take in understanding the path that lies ahead of them
- Swiss Knife – Multipurpose knife which proves helpful for almost everything in your trekking journey
- Survival kit – This is essential for a do or die situation. This will contain important things such as waterproof matches, compass, signal mirrors and also fire starters.
These are some of the important things to be kept in mind while one plans for a trek into the adventure of a lifetime – the Mount Everest.