Australia is a very multicultural country and among the inhabitants of today, many of them are of English origin but also from different parts of Europe, Asia and Africa. It is the sixth largest country in the world and the only one which is a continent in the same time. The summer in Australia starts from December to late February and early March. But it is also full of curiosity and details that are not so well known. In this post you can read interesting information, interesting facts about prisons, snow, restaurants and many other things.
Let’s start from the storytelling about this lovely country
1. It has the longest fence in the world for the dingo. It was built around 1880 and was completed five years later in order to keep dingoes away from fertile land in the south-east of the continent and also protect the livestock. It is one of the longest in the world, with a length of 5.614 km.
2. The ‘flying’ doctors. Literally called “Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia” is a service that allows you to heal and help those living in remote and isolated areas of Australia. It is a nonprofit organization that assists those who cannot get to a hospital nearby. It became a symbol and an icon of the Australian culture.
3. It’s the home of 100 million sheep. In 2000, the estimated sheep were around 120 million. According to the latest research data the number seems to have dropped to around 100 million. An additional trivia : There are about 5 times more sheep than people (who are about 20 million).
4. Why Canberra is the capital of Australia? The capital city is Canberra, but Sydney is the most populous city followed by Melbourne. The city was chosen as the capital after the fierce rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne ‘fighting’ to obtain the title. Eventually, as an obligation the capital, was chosen this city which is 248km from Sydney and 483km from Melbourne.
5. It has the largest ranch in the world. Let’s talk about “Anna Creek cattle station” in South Australia. It’s the largest and busiest ranch in the world. Its size is approximately 34,000 square kilometers. , For instance, it is bigger than the size of Belgium. In the U.S., the largest ranch is 6000 sq km.
6. Australia has the most innovated restaurants in the world. IT has restaurant for every type of family and its food range starts from #European and ends to the Chinese diet. New restaurants like The Merrywell bring new dishes and plates for the Australian citizens and the tourists of the area
7. Australia has the largest organic formation on earth. We speak of course of the reef that extends for about 2,000 km. The reef attracts thousands of tourists who come to admire this delicate and magnetic natural ecosystem and marine life.
8. Sydney Opera House. In addition to the city, it is an icon for Australia itself. Designed by the Danish architect Jorn Utzon it seems to be consisted of “shells” spheres of 75.2 meters that form the roof of the structure which is 183 meters long. The weight of the various roofs all together can achieve the overall of 161,000 tones.
9. Australia was the “home” of 160,000 prisoners. Britain “exploited” the Australian territory in order to keep many of their prisoners. We are talking about 160,000 political prisoners. Today, about 25% of the Australians have ancestors who have been detained.
10. The Australian Antarctic Territory. In original terms, the ‘Australian Antarctic Territory (AAT) is a part of Antarctica and is obviously the larger territory (5.9 million square kilometers).